The world has seen the impact of plastic pollution on our oceans – from turtles eating plastic to seabirds feeding plastic to chicks. Now, studies have shown there are microplastics in UK rivers, which are a source of life for otters, freshwater fish and birds – like kingfishers. A growing concern is that rivers are becoming plastic waterways pumping pollution through our towns and villages and into our oceans.
To help fight plastic pollution we’re asking you to work with us and dispose of what plastic there is on site responsibly.
Here’s what we’ve put in place to to work towards eliminating single use plastic at Latitude and how you can help us to do it.
- All our water bottles sold at the food stalls and bars will be made from recycled plastic (rPET), please refill them or redeem your deposit or place in the recycling bins when you are finished with them
- All trader soft drinks will be served from cans and decanted into paper cups in the arena
- All bottled alcoholic drinks will be decanted into cups so we can manage the plastic disposal responsibly
- Please minimise the plastic you bring and we ask that you don’t bring single use plastic into the arena
- You are welcome to bring a refillable bottle with you to refill at the arena water stations
- We use reusable cups with a £2 deposit
- All paper cups and bottles in the arena have a 10p deposit included in the price which you can redeem at the refund points in the arena (minimum 10 for £1)
- In the campsite any bottles bought in the Co-op Supermarket can be redeemed for 10p in the Co-op’s instore reverse vending machine
- We have banned single use plastic cutlery and serveware since 2009
- @EveryCanCounts will be returning to Latitude to spread the recycling love. The team will be offering recycling rewards to those who bring their cans to the Every Can Counts Recycling Hub in the campsite village. Recycling has never been so much fun!